Thursday, December 13, 2007

JUST ANOTHER DAY

Beau here. Interesting day for me. Up at 4:30am to get some Bible study in before what I knew would be a pretty long day. I have been studying the Book of Matthew recently, and this morning I focused on Matthew 20, specifically verses 26-28. The verses focused on the choice we have to serve or be served. After journaling on it, I sent an email to my community group about where specifically I thought I could improve in my serving others. I was encouraged by my general propensity to serve, but I knew I could take new ground. Let's fast forward to late morning.

I headed down to south Dallas to serve in a "soup kitchen" at a local church that loves on our homeless friends. My wife and daughter decided to join me down there. Well as I pulled up to the home where the meals are served, there were about eight cop cars across the street at what appeared to be a murder scene. Nothing like a little mid-afternoon adventure :) Anyway, we then had the privilege of serving our homeless "neighbors" in south Dallas.

We also had the chance to get to know someone that we will be having dinner with next week. One of our dear friends came up with the idea of hosting a Luke 14 dinner. This is based on Luke 14:11-14 which says Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." So about eight families are going to host some homeless "neighbors" for a blowout Christmas dinner next week that will include some Christmas gifts and a "white elephant gift exchange." Caleb and Hannah are really excited. Me too!!!!!

I then headed back to the office for a few hours. I was able to reflect on the opportunity to serve over lunch today and be grateful for God's provisions of opportunities to deal with my conviction about wanting to serve in specific ways.

Anyway, on the way home I get a phone call from Natalie. "Beau, an immigrant family knocked on our door because they are out of money and looking for work to provide for their family. I invited them in for dinner, so be prepared when you get home." So 20 minutes later I walk into my house to meet eight complete strangers! So we have dinner. The father will come back over tomorrow morning to continue processing ways to help them. Our greatest hope is to honor Christ through our newfound relationship and point this family of eight to their Savior.

Did I mention that I journaled this morning about God helping me to grow in my heart for serving :-)

Please be praying for all that.

Also, Caleb and I head back downtown Saturday morning for our monthly visit with our "homeless neighbors" living on the streets. Caleb is so excited. He has used much of his savings to buy gifts for the folks we will meet on the streets - gum, socks, blankets, tooth brushes, etc. That was all his idea. I am so encouraged by my son's heart for the "marginalized" in our society, and I count it as a privilege to partner with him in doing what it is Christians are supposed to do - serve.

Maybe I will have an interesting post about our Saturday morning adventure, like last month's post.

2 comments:

emily said...

What a wonderful answer to prayer- Moody and I can't wait to meet you and Natalie on Sunday night.

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

I just love your family and your servant's hearts!
Blessings,
Kristy